Re: Re: pga_aggregate_target and a memory leak

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:04:25 -0800

Kirti,

I saw in a 9.2.0.4 database just this evening, much to my surprise, an ORA-00600 in the alert log with - you guessed it - [723], [10332], [10332], [memory leak].

The database was setup in a less than optimal fashion as far as memory allocations go. The initial pga_aggregate_target was only 64M (server had 3 GB of memory and only one instance up) so I'm calling this one a non-sensical configuration error for the moment, as there is no need to size a PGA so small. If you're running with that small a memory footprint, don't use pga_aggregate_target.

After resetting the parameter to 256M and cycling the instance, no ORA-00600's were recorded at instance shutdown. That was not really a good test though, will have to see tomorrow evening after the day's load has hit it.

Paul

this was on w2k server sp3, 9.2.0.4 std ed

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it! http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
Author: Paul Drake
  INET: discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com