Re: ORA-12540: TNS: internal limit restriction exceeded

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:59:24 -0800

Been there, done that, with 8.1.7.3.x when large memory support was not enabled. I think that you don't have large memory support enabled in the operating system. Scale back on your memory allocations, or enable large memory support in the OS. Or add more physical memory.

quote from that note:

"Enable dead connection detection to remove abnormally disconnected Oracle processes."

Are they kidding? What actual software user wrote that?
 That is written by a technical writer that never attempted to run DCD on anything windows. What release of Oracle does dead connection detection ACTUALLY work on - not supposed to work on but does not (I've produced the network trace files in 9.2.0.4 and watched DCD fly right by). I'm guessing 10g, in a future patchset. I don't know, I don't have access to 10g yet.

if you have dead connections building up, kill them with orakill.exe:

OS scheduled task

   batch script

      calls .sql script that
         spools .bat script
         logs killed sessions
      executes .bat script that orakills the threads

use the utility pslist.exe from sysinternals.

schedule this in the OS to run every 15 minutes:

pslist -m oracle >> oracle_mem.log

and mail yourself the file daily via blat.

see how much memory (and virtual memory) is being consumed.

Large memory support works great in 9.2.0.4. Migrate.

hth.

Pd

=== message truncated ===

Do you Yahoo!?