Re: pga_aggregate_target and a memory leak

From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kirtikumar_deshpande_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:44:31 -0800

Replies in line...

Thanks. Found some slack time from routine DBA work!

> Must have finished the book. :)

Not yet.. Its tough..

> Re the PGA problems, what was the value for 'over allocation count' in
> v$pgastat?

Actually, I never bothered to look at v$pgastat. Should have.. and will, when we do some more testing next week..

> Did you try increasing P_A_T to a larger number?

Yes...

> Oracle is supposed to grab the memory it needs, if available, regardless
> of
> the P_A_T setting.
>
> Also, did your system go in to excessive paging or swapping?

Yes, it did with a large P_A_T.

> I've been curious as to what the effects would be of having P_A_T too low.

I saw more disk sorts..

As time permits, I will play with event 10032, 10033 trace for sorts to see what's going on..

> Oracle is supposed to grab whatever memory it needs. I'm assuming at this
> point that doing so involves a different code path as it needs to alloc
> the memory.
>
> Don't know what the cost of that is, haven't tried to test it.
>
> It seems likely that the OS was out of memory, regardless of the P_A_T
> value.

No. The system has 4 GB of physical memory. Over 2GB was free.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus
Author: Kirtikumar Deshpande
  INET: kirtikumar_deshpande_at_yahoo.com