Re: Has anyone done any scalability work on dbms_lock?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:24:29 -0800

Not much. A few hundred users, maybe 20 or so may need the lock. However, this app may explode in # users, so I want to make sure I'm not creating a "monster".

> how long will you hold the locks?

only long enough to pass a key to a servlet.

>I used it last year because only one process could run at a time.

That's what I want, one process per lock.

> seemed to have similiar over head to 'select for update'.

That's weird? I thought it didn't involve table access?

> If you look at the PL/SQL Packages book by Fuerstein et al(not a real popular book, but I like it)... there is a nifty
wrapper for DBMS_LOCK. I based my code off of that.

Ah yes, I know the book. May not be popular, but I used it a lot a while ago and it's solid. Thanks, will look that up.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au

Author: Nuno Souto