RE: FW: Disk capacity planning

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:44:25 -0800

I agree wholeheartedly. This is why I think that anyone who attempts to size a system with formulas alone (that is, without testing) is almost 100% certain to either overspend miserably or downright fail.

There are two things that are really important about testing. One is that it shows you how much hardware you'll need, because you can use real operational measurements to count things like IOps, instead of counting on smart people to infer operational statistics accurately while looking at paper. Just as importantly, it shows you how much wasted work your db/app/users are doing. This gives you the chance to eliminate that waste and go forward on a less expensive infrastructure than you might have imagined if you had studied it only on paper.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:

- Performance Diagnosis 101: 1/27 Atlanta
- SQL Optimization 101: 2/16 Dallas
- Hotsos Symposium 2004: March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...

Author: Niall Litchfield
  INET: niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com