Re[2]: Oracle vs Mysql

From: Jonathan Gennick <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:49:26 -0800

Tuesday, January 20, 2004, 1:29:25 PM, DENNIS WILLIAMS (DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM) wrote: DW> I can recall editorials debating whether Unix/Oracle would ever be DW> industrial strength enough to support critical applications.

I admit to not being involved in databases that far back, but I've read enough to believe that Oracle was definitely the upstart in the early days, much like MySQL is now, and that's reason enough for Oracle Corp to worry about this new competition. Oracle grew up and became the heavyweight, and MySQL seems to be trying to follow the same path.

All MySQL really needs to do is to add capability fast enough to keep up with the demands of their current customers. Their customers will grow, will continue to use MySQL, and as the product becomes more capable, more customers will jump on the bandwagon.

DW>    The story the author relates has to do with distributed databases. Ingres
DW> was developing a distributed database capability. Larry got wind of this and
DW> announced an new product "SQL*Star", that hadn't even been discussed within
DW> Oracle.

LOL! Took guts to do that. Larry must've given the developers heart-burn.

DW>    My point is that each time these free databases are discussed, people
DW> mention the fact that Postgres is superior from a technical standpoint. But
DW> from what I see, often it is the best marketed product that prevails.

Someone mention books. Was that you Dennis? From what data I see, MySQL books far outsell PostgreSQL books. MySQL is the product with the mindshare, not PostgreSQL.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are * 906.387.1698 *

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one article on Oracle technologies per month by email. To join, visit, or send email to and include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:

Author: Jonathan Gennick

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jan 20 2004 - 12:49:26 CST

Original text of this message