RE: FW: Disk capacity planning

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:29:26 -0800

this is where the z-space kicks in (discreteness). if you're using direct attached storage, the cabinets typically hold 14 drives spread across a split backplane per enclosure.

10 => PCI-X slots open > 0
4 Server PCI-X buses
n dual channel external SCSI RAID controllers n dual channel external SCSI RAID enclosures n*14 => drives > 0

so we will attempt to spread the IO across the PCI-X bus channels, across RAID controller channels, across drives.

so pick the following:

1 cabinet, 1 dual channel SCSI RAID controller, 14 drives

2 cabinets, 2 dual channel SCSI RAID controllers, 28 drives

3 cabinets, 3 dual channel SCSI RAID controllers, 42 drives (we have a winner :) ).

4 cabinets, 4 dual channel SCSI RAID controllers, 56 drives Received on Tue Jan 20 2004 - 13:29:26 CST