RE: Oracle vs Mysql

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:29:25 -0800

Back to MySQL and whether Postgres is the way to go,

I can recall editorials debating whether Unix/Oracle would ever be industrial strength enough to support critical applications.

The point the book "The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison" tries to make is that the technically superior product isn't always the one that succeeds. Often it is the one that is marketed better. A quick check of Amazon reveals several books devoted to MySQL, but I don't see any devoted to Postgres.

   The story the author relates has to do with distributed databases. Ingres was developing a distributed database capability. Larry got wind of this and announced an new product "SQL*Star", that hadn't even been discussed within Oracle. When Ingres announced their product, the press asked "isn't than like Oracle's SQL*Star?".

   My point is that each time these free databases are discussed, people mention the fact that Postgres is superior from a technical standpoint. But from what I see, often it is the best marketed product that prevails.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com