Re: FW: Disk capacity planning

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 04:09:55 -0800

Oh, but it is done, you only need to ask. EMC routinely measures how many I/Os per second can they perform and they even have tools to measure it. Speaking of monitoring I/O, there used to be an old OS, which is mostly dead today and it used to have command monitor io/item=queue which would show length of the I/O queues per device, which was extremely useful, because you could quickly find out which devices are "hot" and which are not.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net