Re: Oracle vs Mysql

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:04:26 -0800

It needs not to have the same capabilities, it needs to have capabilities that people are using. The primary capabilities that people need, in my opinion, are a decent scripting language, with the full complement of the database triggers, procedures, packages and functions, ability to store/access/administer huge objects, hundreds of gigabytes in size, a decent SQL implementation with plethora of functions and a support for standard APIs like JDBC, ODBC, OLE and DBI. A good compiler support with something similar to long extinct SQL*Module (originally an IBM technology) and there would be huge number of users. Fortunately for oracle, MySQL still has problems with the most basic things: transactions, versioning, locking and SQL implementation. My conclusion is that MySQL will never be much more then a toy, despite the hype, catchy name and apparent popularity. I see much more dangerous adversaries in UDB (artist formerly known as DB2) and PostgresSQL. If IBM decides to play open source on Unix, and there are rumors of IBM musing over such a move, Oracle would most probably be toast. I must say that after some oracle's mischiefs, I wouldn't be the last one to defect and switch the databases. I wasn't the last one to leave DEC either, despite the fact that I was teaching VMS courses in 1992. My point is that Oracle is extremely feature rich. Very few people are using more then 20% of the database capabilities. Initially, in V8, I worked hard to learn about the Object PL/SQL, datatypes and classes. Believe it or not, I've never seen it used in production. By now, I've forgotten it all. It's almost the same situation with Java in the database. Very few are using it. Most people test it, then say "aha!" and move on. Those two features will not make a whole lot of difference when a viable competitor emerges. Oracle 10g was written, for the most part outside of US. With beta testing this closed and restricted, it's not going to be tested thoroughly, not even close to thoroughly. What we are likely to get is an unstable, buggy and almost unusable "gridlock" version. Competitor might emerge sooner then some people are realizing.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net