RE: (Non)Unique Index Vs Unique Constraint

From: Jay <jaysingh1_at_optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:24:25 -0800

Thanks a lot for your quick response Mr.Jonathan and Mr.Dennis.

One more silly question...

What is the difference(pros & cons) between creating PK Vs (UK+NOT NULL) Vs (UK+check constraint with Not null condition)?

1)
drop table constraint_test;
create table constraint_test(c1 number,c2 varchar2(10)); alter table constraint_test add constraint ct_pk1 primary key(c1);

2)
drop table constraint_test;
create table constraint_test(c1 number,c2 varchar2(10)); alter table constraint_test modify(c1 number not null); alter table constraint_test add constraint ct_uk1 unique(c1);

3)
drop table constraint_test;
create table constraint_test(c1 number,c2 varchar2(10)); alter table constraint_test add constraint ct_ck1 check(c1 is not null); alter table constraint_test add constraint ct_uk1 unique(c1);

Thanks,
Jay

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk