Partitions, loading and moving at the same time?

From: Michael Kline <mkline1_at_COMCAST.NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:14:27 -0800

Got some partitions to work on.

They are divided by date and we've got several that this is the first month that two partitions are in the same tablespace and shouldn't be.

But we can't stop production.

If they are loading "December" data, can I safely move the "September" partition at the same time.

The data is divided such they should not be touching it, but needless to say the index will go invalid for that partition until the move of the index is also done. Some of these are 2,000-5,000 meg, 176 million plus rows.

If I had just had a bit more notice.

But I'll probably have to start looking at this tomorrow.

Also, if I chance the table partition name, does that invalid the matching partition index. I also have to rename it was well. They are going 5 years, 60 months, so M1, M2, M3 ain't going to cut it. We want to go to x_200309, x_200310, x_200311, etc.

Thanks.

Michael Kline, Principal Consultant
Business To Business Solutions, LLC
Richmond, VA