Re: powerbuilder in rbo and multiple constraint question...

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 07:39:38 -0800

On 01/15/2004 09:54:36 AM, Chris Stephens wrote:

> There response was that it's a limitation of powerbuilder. I don't buy that
> for a second. ...anyone know for sure?

I have slight experience with supporting Powerbuilder apps in 1996 and, later, in 1998. At that time it was completely possible to enter comments in the SQL statements. I assure you that Powerbuilder has no such limitations and that some of the wise guys in development just do not like RBO, based on magazine reading and the latest NFL results. Not a single NFL quarterback uses CBO,so why would they?

> ..and on a side note...my company is developing a call center app in .not.
> The dba's were conveniently left out of the design process.

Then he cannot be made responsible for the performance, either. Just sit back, put an evil grin on your face, and enjoy.

>I just took a
> look at the schema they are using and noticed redundant constraints on
> almost every table. i.e. not null, primary key, unique on the same column.
> Before I investigate myself with a 10046, does anyone know if oracle has to
> do multiple recursive sql to validate each constraint or is it smart enough
> to know they are redundant and only validate the pk constraint?

Me thinks not, but you should test it out by doing 10046 as sys and see the recursive SQL commands.

> .........when I saw this, I blasted the developers (admittedly some
> misdirected aggression) for not having a clue what they were working with
> and blankly stated that the redundant constraints (among other things if
> found...no bind variables for one) would negatively affect performance.

Any arguments there or is his conviction based on the the Holy Bible and the Book of Genesis? Is your developer from Kansas?

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala