RE: most practical 9iR2 features?

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:24:26 -0800

This is a good question. We've been running 9i instances for 18+ months now. Here are my impressions:

I would say RESUMABLE, especially for bulk loads, export/import, sqlloader is #1. This has saved HOURS!!!

Dynamically modifiable SGA parameters have helped us with reliability. Less need to ever bounce!

We're now letting the database name datafiles for new partitions, which, for archivable tables, makes it easier to drop partitions and datafiles and more easily reclaim space in an automated fashion.

The new RMAN features, overall, make the product finally usable in our eyes. It still needs improvement, though...

Undo tablespaces have significantly cut down on rollback and "snapshot too old" errors. But it's not perfect...

Automated workarea size policy is much better than manually calculating PGA variables such as sort_area_size, etc...

We haven't used much flashback or query rewrite features yet. At least not directly (some vendor code may use them).

I am sure interested in seeing what others have to say.

Michael Fontana
Sr. DBA
NTT/Verio

Author: Odland, Brad
  INET: Brad.Odland_at_qtiworld.com

Author: Michael Fontana
  INET: mfontana_at_verio.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 15 2004 - 17:24:26 CST