Re: Oracle vs Mysql

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:44:28 -0800

On 01/14/2004 12:44:25 PM, "Jesse, Rich" wrote:
> If you have the choice, look at PostgreSQL in addition to MySQL. From what
> I've seen, it's more mature than MySQL.

I second that. PostgresSQL supports transactions and uses perl as its scripting language. From what little I read and saw (just a little pilot project with the goal to see "what the heck is Postgres"), it's a very decent database, with a decent performance and capabilities sufficient for a small, departmental database server. I know nothing of clustering, distributed database, database links, replication and alike. In other words, I wouldn't use it for an enterprise-wide server for GE or Wall-Mart, but it can be quite a convenient storage space for a small corner shop or a small department. Because of perl and DBI, exchanging data with other servers like oracle or UDB (DB2) is easy.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala