RE: kill session privilege

From: Justin Cave <jcave_at_cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:09:35 -0800

At 01:24 AM 1/14/2004, Mark Richard wrote:

>I imagine the reason goes something along the lines of "Sometimes
>developers fire off queries that are going to run for an exceptionally long
>time, often accidentally" If you are only talking about killing sessions
>on a development machine then I think it's a fairly valid request - I can't
>imagine why a developer would ever want to kill a production session.

Well, sometimes developers are asked to generate ad-hoc reports for management. In those cases, it's pretty easy to accidentally generate the "query from heck" and need to kill it.

>The earlier suggestion of writing a procedure and granting execute rights
>on that procedure is an approach I have heard of before.

What I've generally seen is a stored procedure that checks to make sure that the session the user is trying to kill is their own, probably logs the kill in some sort of audit table, etc. I don't have much of a problem with a developer killing their own session even in production.

Justin Cave

Author: Justin Cave
  INET: jcave_at_cableone.net