Re: Yep.....it's a Monday......

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:24:26 -0800

I have to confess that I was the one who did it once. I was supposed to test a new UPS for a VAX 4200, but I forgot to turn the UPS on. UPS was supposed to send a shutdown command with 15 min. grace time, but when I flipped the switch, everything just died. I did that after 18:00 but I forgot that there were programmers trying to catch up with deadlines. To make the long story short, I almost got myself lynched. Fortunately, it was Friday, not Monday. Have you noticed how touchy people get when someone switches off the power? People should really be much more tolerant toward fellow human beings, even if they are sys admins.

On 01/12/2004 12:14:35 PM, Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote:
> I had an SA do that to my 500G DW once, in the middle of the day.
>
> Took a few minutes to figure out why tablespaces were successively
> going offline...
>
> Jared
>

> Joe Testa <oracle-l_at_oracle-dba.com>
> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
> 01/12/2004 08:54 AM
> Please respond to ORACLE-L
>

> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> cc:
> Subject: Re: Yep.....it's a Monday......
>

> almost as good as the SAN CE coming in and instead of formatting the new
> SAN, format the existing one, wiping out OS/databases/redo logs, etc.
>
> joe
>

> Bobak, Mark wrote:
>
> > While doing some SAN work, one of our intrepid Sys Admins unplugged
> > the wrong cable, crashing 20+ production databases at the same
> > time?..Yeah, it's a Monday?..
> >
> > So, here I sit, waiting, while they scramble around, re-connecting
> > cables and re-booting boxes?..sigh?.I have a feeling lunch will be a
> > little late today??.
> >
> > At least I wasn't the one who caused the crash?..;-)
> >

> > Mark J. Bobak
> > Oracle DBA
> > ProQuest Company
> > Ann Arbor, MI
> > *"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
> > and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
> > --Unknown*

> Author: Joe Testa
> INET: oracle-l_at_oracle-dba.com

Mladen Gogala