RE: pga workarea and ora-04030

From: Jeroen van Sluisdam <jeroen.van.sluisdam_at_vrijuit.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:44:26 -0800

Jonathan,

Thanks for your answer this clarifies a bit more But it still bothers me that this program can swallow 4Gb of physical memory and 4 Gb of swap and it is still not enough. You explain that the memory of pl/sql tables is not in the sga so that's clear now.

What still bothers me is that my original program works fine with pga_target = 0 and wa-size-policy=manual When I try this with this test-program it fails (see below) VU_2>exec testarray(100000000);
begin testarray(100000000); end;

*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1 ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allocate 8144 bytes (cursor work he,qesaQBInit:buffer)

ORA-06508: PL/SQL: could not find program unit being called
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_OUTPUT", line 127
ORA-06512: at "VRIJ_UIT.TESTARRAY", line 23
ORA-06500: PL/SQL: storage error
ORA-06512: at line 1

Somehow these setting influence the way the pl/sql program works. This testprogram is clearly not enough to explain this behaviour. Because we Use quite some pl/sql I would like to know more because it could happen Maybe with other programs.

Oracle 7 the same code runs fine also. I read a post that the difference for pl/sql tables is that they are now implemented as fully allocated arrays in memory whether they were implemented in oracle 7 and chained linked lists.

Obviously this takes more memory but why do these 2 settings play such a role? Is the memory involved differently when using these settings? Can I monitor specific memory usage with these setting and how should this be done on HPUX?

Regards,

Jeroen
Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk