RE: Backups in a DW Environment

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:49:26 -0800

Ryan - I don't see where you received a direct answer to this question. To use RMAN to back up to tape you must license what Oracle terms a MML (media management library). However, you can use RMAN to back up to disk without any additional purchase. My sys admin evaluated the cost of the MML piece from Veritas for our size of server and said the additional disk area was cheaper, so we use RMAN to disk.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com