RE: RAC setup on linux

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:14:25 -0800

Rich,

Before now, I've not heard of setting localhosts to the real IP address.

I've only seen it aliased to loopback ( 127.0.0.1 ).  Why would you
do otherwise?

Jared

"Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@qtiworld.com>
Sent by: ml-errors@fatcity.com

 01/09/2004 12:39 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L@fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: RAC setup on linux

Joe,

In random order, here's some hints:

Make sure you visit Werner's site, http://www.puschitz.com  He has all sorts
of non-RAC ideas on how to install Oracle on all sorts of RH flavors.

Beware that RH AS 2.1 is bloody old.  You may have problems with it
recognizing your newer hardware.  Since this was just a test for us on a
pair of 2.4Ghz P-IVs, I said "Screw it!" and went with RH9, which config'd
our Intel D845 MB, the built-in video, and the built-in 100baseT Ethernet
(our older 3com 100baseT PCI card for the private network was recognized
OK).

Something I have not seen anywhere else (perhaps it's just my lack of
understand of a "proper" network setup), but when you are creating the
/etc/hosts file, do NOT alias ANY nodenames to "localhost"!  The Cluster
Manager will fail.  For example, alias "localhost" to "127.0.0.1" and NOT to
"192.168.1.1" (or whatever your public/domain IP address is).

If you need to change kernel settings permanently, instead of echoing values
to a pseudo-file in /proc on boot, make the change in /etc/sysctl.conf

If you want to try OCFS, you *must* follow Wim's guide on OTN (can't
remember the URL, but it was an OracleWorld presentation!).  Without
following that, 1.08 and 1.09 are deathly slow to the point of unusability.
Also beware that OCFS won't work out-of-the box with RH9.  I patched 1.08,
following guidelines that IBM used to patch XFS for RH9.  If you want the
patched source, let me know.

The rest of my notes seem to mostly relate to that MetaLink doc.  If you
have problems, post here!  There's enough of us that have tried it, that I'm
sure you'll get an answer faster than Oracle Support.  :)

HTH!  GL!

Rich

Rich Jesse                           System/Database Administrator
rjesse@qtiworld.com                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
 INET: Rich.Jesse@qtiworld.com

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com