RE: Oracle Standby.

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 07:24:26 -0800

Mark,

I have a few questions for you.

Oracle version? (9i R2, I'd assume)
Enterprise Edition or Standard?
Database size?
Volume of logs generated per day?
standby server on local LAN or remote network?  (do you want to use compression of logs) NetBIOS enabled over WAN/VPN?
 (what protocols are available to transfer logs) NOLOGGING operations permitted?
 (frequency of full refreshes, use of FORCE LOGGING)

We run home-grown scripts for Standard Edition, but I have a project coming up where the Client is running Enterprise Edition, so when they are migrated to 9i R2, we're planning on using DataGuard to handle the physical standby.

you're likely going to want to automate creation of initial backupset used for standby, and for automated refreshing of entire db.

gotta run.

Pd

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus