RE: table reorganizations

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:59:25 -0800

> I'm surprised at these responses.

Please don't take offense. It appears that you have received some very informative answers in addition to the facetious ones. ( which I *did* expect. Mladen never lets me down. )

To reiterate the point of responses to your question:

Running a SQL query to indicate that a table should be reorged to based upon the amount of free space it finds simply doesn't supply enough data to indicate that it's actually necessary. It probably isn't.

There are a lot of tuning "authorities" that make hard and fast rules about how to find problem areas by simply running a few queries.

It is unfortunately, not that simple. Or for people like Cary Millsap, Gary Goodman, Steve Adams, Jonathan Lewis and a number of others, it is, fortunately for them, not that simple. ;)

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com