Re: Should we stop analyzing?

From: Don Burleson <don_at_burleson.cc>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:14:26 -0800

Jonathan,

Good point about the "change-control" issue.

When we consider that re-analyzing stats can cause huge changes to data access patterns I’m continuously amazed at the number of shops that re-analyze on a schedule and have the “Monday Morning” syndrome.

I have worked for shops where they must “certify” every change, no matter how trivial.  Mostly banks and medical systems.

These “certified” shops are stuck.  On one hand, they are obligated to follow the best-practices of their vendor, yet obligated not to make any untested changes in production.

Even Oracle is schizophrenic on the issue; my contacts in the real-world performance group are zealously in favor of the “take one deep sample” approach, while the 10g developers are pissed that the CBO has been getting a bum-rap because of crappy statistics.

Personally, I love the automatic histogram generation “skewonly” and the “auto” option in dbms_stats, and use it for all my 9ir2 clients.

However, I remain skeptical about the benefits of “dynamic sampling” and “workload analysis” automation tools for most shops.

In my experience, the vast majority of shops DO NOT benefit from re-analysis, and I’ve got shops where re-analysis NEVER results in CBO changes.

Regards,

Donald K. Burleson
www.dba-oracle.com
www.remote-dba.net