RE: Difference on ArchiveLog

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:29:32 -0800

Mauricio,

Think about it.

Your redo logs are now larger, and they have to be cleared out by the archiver less often.  So archivelog files are produced less often.  So you have less physical archive log files being produced.

The other data that *used to be* in archivelog files are now in the Redo Log files.  It hasn't gone anyplace - it's just waiting for the Redo Log file to fill up so it can be archived.

The metric that you should be looking at is not how much archive log is being generated - but how often a log file switch is being performed.  I like no less than 20 minutes - that is - an archivelog file is not being created more often that 20 minutes.  This ensures that the database is never waiting for the archiver to complete it's work (thus stopping updates) before it can continue.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional
Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us