RE: table reorganizations

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:59:34 -0800

Message

Jolene,

When I first saw your posting, I considered if it was intended as bait....;-)

You'll have to forgive me for thinking so, as these are popular topics of contention.

Now, for the forthright (and hopefully bait-free) answer:

Please define what you mean by "re-organization".  If you're on at least 8i and locally-managed tablespaces, your tables should never need to be re-organized.  Dozens or even hundreds of extents are not likely to be a problem.  The short answer:  In general, don't worry about re-organizing your tables.  Use locally managed tablespaces with uniform extent sizes.  Pick a few different uniform extent sizes.  When a table really grows large, move to a tablespace with a larger uniform size.  See the "How to Stop Defragmenting and Start Living" paper, available on MetaLink.  (If you don't have MetaLink access, I think you can find it via Google search as well.)

Full table scans:  Don't worry about which tables have full table scans going on.  Worry instead about your critical business processes, and how they are performing.  Do you see one that's not performing up to par?  Investigate that.  You may (or may not) find slow performance caused by an inappropriate full table scan.  It could also be caused by inefficient index range scan, where replacing it with a full table scan is appropriate.  But, the point is, by concentrating on the slowest of the critical business processes, you're most likely to find yourself focusing on the most important pieces of your system which simultaneously have the most room for improvement.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
ProQuest Company
Ann Arbor, MI
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."  --Unknown

Author: Bobak, Mark
  INET: Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com