Re: Re[2]: another OCP question -- help me guys

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:54:34 -0800

On 01/07/2004 10:19:25 AM, Rachel Carmichael wrote:

> Oh yeah -- how does having a college degree in art history make a
> person a better DBA? how does my degree, which is in computer science
> but which is 28 years old, have anything to do with current programming
> and database work?

Believe it or not, a college degree in art history really does help in two ways. First, people exposed to sufficient quantity of art tend to be nobler and more spiritual, according to the popular beliefs, then cynical mathematicians and computer geeks like me. Being noble and spiritual means that they don't fight back but do as they're told which makes them into good corporate drones. Art history is like an army boot camp for wannabe geeks. Their appearance also tends to be much more pleasant and polished then an appearance of a hard core computer geek.
Second, art history majors make perfect sacrificial lambs. An art history major in IT department can be blamed for anything from bad weather, corrupt backup tape to stupid application design. My understanding is that you've moved to the management, which is the move that I admire and respect. As a manager, you should know the value of a sacrificial lamb that can be blamed for anything. If you want to make the next step in your career, the step from management to damagement, you'll have to learn how to play the blame shifting game. Art history majors are priceless for that.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala