Re: Re[2]: another OCP question -- help me guys

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:19:25 -0800

Michael Abbey once said (I'm paraphrasing here) "the resume and OCP get you in the door. It's your experience that gets you the job and keeps you there"

We've had numerous discussions on this list about interview questions. I've been on interviews where I spent an entire day (9-4) and talked to 11 different people, both non-technical questions and technical ones in and out of my area of expertise. and this was AFTER a 90 minute phone technical interview. I've been on interviews where there was no DBA on site, so the technical aspect of the interview was more an informal consulting session (how would you handle this problem, when I could tell it was one they were currently having)

I'm not interested in how much you've memorized. Or how well you take standardized tests. I do ask questions that pertain to skill set and creative thinking.

Unfortunately these days, personnel departments do the initial screening and they use a keyword search on "college degree" and "OCP". Wherever possible, I try to do the initial search and interview myself and THEN pass a candidate along to HR. That way I can at least argue for someone really good, even if their resume doesn't hit the keywords.

Oh yeah -- how does having a college degree in art history make a person a better DBA? how does my degree, which is in computer science but which is 28 years old, have anything to do with current programming and database work?

And while we definitely need people who know a little about everything (the "primary care physician" as it were) we still need experts in specialized areas. I wouldn't necessarily urge people to study lots and lots of things, that usually ends up meaning they do none of them well.

Okay, can you tell you poked one of my pet peeves? Off the soapbox for now :)

my $0.02, for what it's worth (which is less and less these days!)

Rachel

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus
Author: Rachel Carmichael