RE: OCP question from Boson practice tests

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 06:44:24 -0800

        Well, you've certainly gotten a few decent replies. I've never used Boson so I can't comment on their exams, I prefer going to Oracle Press. Anyway, sizing temp is a combination of things many of which are black magic at best. Number of users is an interesting variable to add, but not of an extreme value since it's actually the number of CONNECTED users that will really affect the value arrived at. Sort_Area_size, Maybe. If it's large enough it may well negate the need for temp in a number of cases, but don't bet on it. Type of Tablespace management? OK, who's smoking what. That's a giveaway toss out. DB_Block_Size, again a giveaway, it has no real bearing since the temp tablespace will have the same size, unless you use 9i features, but even then a MB is a MB.

        The real answer is know what your database is suppose to be doing. If your setting up an OLTP database you may well get away with a very small temp space. On the other hand a data warehouse or decision support system is, by design, going to consume mountains of temp. Also do not forget things like index rebuilds that you will need to do, they do sorts and consequently consume temp in the process. Then there's always that wild user who lets loose the Cartesian product from haties that will blow all of your calculations off the map.

        Therefore the answer in this case is E: None of the above.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: Prem Khanna J
  INET: jprem_at_kssnet.co.jp

Author: Goulet, Dick
  INET: DGoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jan 07 2004 - 08:44:24 CST