Re: oracle client on PC's

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:34:27 -0800

most of the remote sites do
not have a file server at all.  They access file servers at the "main
office" for everything.

>>> discgolfdba@yahoo.com 1/6/04 2:54:26 PM >>>

--- Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM@gcrta.org> wrote:
> Rather than installing the Oracle client on every
> client PC, we have been:
> - installing client on 1 PC
> - copying directory to a network server
> - extract the registry for "oracle" key
> - fix registry that was extracted to reference the
> network drive
> - load registry on client PCs
> - add the network pc as a search drive to the client
> pc.

> We are now experiencing problems over the WAN and
> looking at ways to eliminate the Oracle dll
> overhead.  Short of installing Oracle on every
> client PC, what are our options?

> Jeffrey Beckstrom
> Database Administrator
> Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
> 1240 W. 6th Street
> Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Jeffrey,

Does each WAN user reside in a location that has some
sort of file server? By each office location having
its own oracle client installation on a local file
server, the .dll traffic would be minimized.

You might still decide to keep the Oracle Client
configuration files centralized at the main office
(via the use of the TNS_ADMIN environment variable).

We took the route of providing all the developer
desktops with a full fat client, but used a response
file (for OUI) to specify only the minimum files
required for our environment. I'd be happy to pass
along the response file.

We do use centralized [tnsnames,sqlnet].ora files, but
also use ONAMES as a backup names resolution method.
Haven't tackled that OID thingy yet.

hth.

Paul

Author: Paul Drake
  INET: discgolfdba@yahoo.com

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services
Author: Jeffrey Beckstrom
  INET: JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org