RE: RE:

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 04:39:25 -0800

Mark,

  All right, I see it better. If I were you I would try arithmetic methods. To take your example, when you start with     10110011
it means

    power(2,7) + power(2,5) + power(2,4) + power(2,1)

               + power(2,0)

What you want is nothing else than

    3 * power(4,7) + 3 * power(4,5) + 3 * power(4, 4)     + 3 * power(4, 1) + 3 * power(4,0)

... if I don't err.
In other words, if you consider your 1s to mark powers of 4 instead of 2 and multiply by 3 instead of 1 each time, you have your expansion.   I let you write the PL/SQL function ;-).

HTH SF

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com