Re: Convert to Locally-Managed Tablespaces

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:44:27 -0800

On a gig of data, you could easily export the data and re-import into
new locally managed tablespaces.

An alternative is to use the dbms_space_admin package to convert
DD managed tablespaces to locally managed.

This is what I will need to use on our systems, as there are about 400 gig
of data and indexes.  200 gig of data is too large to export/import, at least
it is for this project.  So dbms_space_admin it will be.

IIRC one of the drawbacks of using dbms_space_admin to convert is
that you won't be converting to nice uniform extent sizes for existing data.

The DD data for the existing extents is simply converted to bitmaps.  The
advantage of getting extent mgt out of the DD should outweigh that IMO.

There may be other drawbacks, I  haven't started on this project yet.  I'm
sure someone else on the list can respond with some experiences.

For 1 gig of data though, I personally would just go the export/import route.

HTH

Jared

Paula Winkler <pw41972@yahoo.com>
Sent by: ml-errors@fatcity.com

 01/05/2004 02:39 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L@fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Convert to Locally-Managed Tablespaces

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this question has been posted or not.  I inheritated an Oracle9i (9.2.0.4) database which contains all dictionary-managed tablespaces.  This small database is approx. 1 GB and resides on a HP server.  I plan to convert all the dictionary-managed tablespaces to Locally Managed tablespaces.  What is the best approach to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance for your help!

- Paula W.

Do you Yahoo!?

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com