SQL*Loader to load mutiple languages from the single datafile

From: <jaysingh1_at_optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:39:24 -0800

Dear All,

Happy New Year!

I have to load both French and Japanese characters from the same datafile into tables using SQL*loader.

DB character set is UTF8 (version 8.1.7.3) Client : Unix (Sun Solaris)

If I set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8 then French characters are NOT getting loaded properly(garbled-> non-readable format) but Japanese characters are getting loaded without any problem.

If I set NLS_LANG=French then French characters are getting loaded properly( no garbled issue) but Japanese characters are NOT getting loaded(garbled).

French Data

Laforêt
François
modèle
démineur

Japanase Data

絞り込ã¿å±¥æ­´
絞り込ã¿ã®è¨­å®š

I copied sample FRENCH & JAPANESE characters above. Even here in BROWSER,
(A)if the BROWSER Encoding (please select View->Encoding) is set to
Unicode(UTF-8)then Japanese Data (characters) are in READABLE format.

(B)if the BROWSER Encoding (please select View->Encoding) is set to Wester
European(ISO),then French Data (characters) are in READABLE format.

Questions:

1)Why french characters are not getting loaded properly when I set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMEICA.UTF8 2)How do I load mutiple langauges content from the same datafile into db table.

Kindly through some light on this?

Thanks for your time.
Jay

  INET: jaysingh1_at_optonline.net