RE: stress testing

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 11:29:24 -0800

Henry,

Sar is a better tool than vmstat/iostat as it collects a broad range of information. Specifically, sar -q should show up CPU queueing and swapping, and sar -v will show up file/process table overflow issues that may occur during stress testing. IMHO, sar is quite underutilized.... ( had a paper on this last IOUG, but couldn't go and present it :(

John Kanagaraj
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Grace - Getting something we do NOT deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we DO deserve Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!