Re: Apps 11.5.9 Disater Recovery Site

From: Ron Thomas <rthomas_at_hypercom.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:09:25 -0800

Hi Tanel-

I've been doing 11.5 cloning for several years and think I've found most (but I'm sure not all) of the database and filesystem changes required.

adpatch is what concerns me the most since it requires a database connection to function. It can't connect to the DR database since it will be in a recovery mode. I'm thinking that setting the two_task to a service that points back to the production system would work. You bring up an interesting question though. c, d, and g drivers are very specific in the functions they perform. Now that Oracle is moving to the u driver, I'll need to look into this.

I was looking at rsync as an alternative to the above. rsync would also be used to transfer the concurrent reports (/.../common/out) to the DR system (don't know if management want this yet or not).

Time for coffee.... not sure if I'm making sence yet.

Thanks,
Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
rthomas_at_hypercom.com
Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs. -- Kernighan

                      tanel.poder.003_at_m
                      ail.ee                   To:       ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      ml-errors_at_fatcity        Subject:  Re: Apps 11.5.9 Disater Recovery Site
                      .com

                      12/30/2003 05:44
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

One issue popped into my mind with patching & disaster recovery:

When you're patching your primary system, have applied all c & g and d drivers (or an u driver) and a disaster occurs, then your secondary site might remain in inconsistent state e.g. database objects have the new version, but corresponding $APPL_TOP ones are old, because they're not rsynced yet.

Or the opposite - when rsync has been done, but you have to do a point in time recovery to the point before d-patch application in secondary site.

And of course, don't forget to simulate and test the disaster, several times, if possible. Without warning, if possible ;)

Tanel.

> I've been charged with bringing up a disaster recovery site, so time to
hit the books again as a lot
> has changed since the last time I did this. Looking for resource
recommendations (FM to read, white
> papers, etc).
>
> Sticky part of this is it is an Applications 11.5.9 installation. The
database end of it should not
> be too difficult (8.1.7.4, soon to be 9.2.0.4), but the applications file
system is modified by the
> adpatch utility which adpatch requires a database connection to function.
I can think of 2 ways to

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee

Author: Ron Thomas