RE: max 5% of pga_aggregate_target for a single serial session

From: Roger Xu <roger_xu_at_dp7uptx.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 08:14:25 -0800

select BELNR,count(*)
from sapr3.bsis
group by BELNR
order by BELNR

This was the SQL running at that time.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 5:44 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

It is possible for a single session to require more than one sort or hash area at a time. For example a 4 table hash could require 3 in-memory hash tables (and therefore use 3 x hash_area_size in the days before pga_agg_target).

Possibly your session used 150MB, but had multiple areas open at once, of which the largest was 90MB.- are the definitions of the columns completely unambiguous, or is there room for error in interpreting their use ?

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html ____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

> Hi,
>
> First of all, thank you to all answered my last question.
> Now I have another question related to my last one.
> In my system, pga_aggregate_target is set to 3GB and I
> think a session would have approximately 150MB work area
> before temp space is needed (5% of 3GB).
> But I did a test, it only used 90MB max. Anyone has a explanation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roger Xu
>
> SQL>
> 1 select sid
> 2 ,ACTIVE_TIME
> 3 ,WORK_AREA_SIZE
> 4 ,EXPECTED_SIZE expected
> 5 ,ACTUAL_MEM_USED actual
> 6 ,MAX_MEM_USED max
> 7 ,NUMBER_PASSES pass
> 8 ,TEMPSEG_SIZE tempsize
> 9 from v$sql_workarea_active;
>
> SID ACTIVE_TIME WORK_AREA_SIZE EXPECTED ACTUAL MAX
PASS TEMPSIZE
> ---------- ----------- -------------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---
------- ----------
> 13 1644005675 29966336 29966336 24232960 91504640
1 470712320

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk

For technical support please email tech_support_at_dp7uptx.com or you can
call (972)721-8257.
This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.

http://www.messagelabs.com
Author: Roger Xu
  INET: roger_xu_at_dp7uptx.com