Bug with automatic undo management?

From: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 07:29:25 -0800

I have a TAR open on this and Im arguing with the Oracle tech support guy.

Here is what happened. We upgraded an instance to 9i. Switched to automatic undo management. Set our undo parameters to point to a newly created undo tablespace.

  1. took our old rollback tablespace(with rollback segments in it) offline.
  2. I created some new objects. Fine.
  3. Then I started creating indexes and doing selects. I would periodically get the following error:
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-00376: file 3 cannot be read at this time
ORA-01110: data file 3: '<path>/rbs_01.dbf'

4. This is becaus that is the old rollback tablespace that was taken off line and is NOT indicated in the undo parameter as the undo tablespace.

5. Oracle support said the following.
'Most likely what happened is that when you went to create the index it encountered some information in the table in one of the block headers that needed to be retrieved/verified from the rollback segment due to delayed block cleanout. If we see that the rollback segment still exists we try to access it. (It doesn't matter whether we are using auto ot manual at this point.) If we can't access it then we throw an error. If we see that the rollback segment has been dropped then we know for sure that the information in the block header is old because we never drop rollback segments until all active transactions have completed.'

6. Not possible in my opinion. Since the object in question was created AFTER this rollback segment was taken offline.

7. We dropped the old rollback segment and it works fine now.

Is this a bug?

Author: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net
  INET: ryan_oracle_at_cox.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Dec 31 2003 - 09:29:25 CST