RE: SQL*net message from client severly impact the Parse call of an insert statement

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:24:25 -0800

John,

   These are just a couple of ideas coming to me (I haven't checked the attachments, answering to this through a web interface). First of all, having a _whole_ process much slowed by parsing proves, if nothing else, that you are doing too much of it. If it happened very few times you wouldn't even have noticed it. I am far from being a Java expert but there is the equivalent of bind variables with JDBC (forgot how it's called), your developers should use them. There is also the quick and dirty fix of forcing cursor sharing for the session, but don't mention it to them too quickly. Second, I am surprised by the kernel waiting for some client information in the parse phase. What does it need from the client side to parse? It has everything; unless, perhaps, it's the CBO requiring information about the session's own environment? But this resides on the server host too. The only explanation which makes sense to me is that parsing occurs as a separate phase, before execution, and that the wait is between parsing and execution. In C the 'parse' call can be either immediate (requiring one round-trip on its own) or delayed (parsing occurring when execution is requested). You probably are in the first case, and should ask your developers to do whatever is needed to be in the second one.

HTH S Faroult

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com