Re: Should we stop analyzing?

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:09:28 -0800

I didn't even notice.

As for the rest of your rebuttal. I am not a religious fanatic. If it works for you, great. Just be aware of the risk involved and backup the statistics before analyzing them so that you can restore them in case things go sour after the analyze.

I had one case for example where a developer had problems with a new sql. I wasn't at the office that day and the dba they called noticed that the statistics were several years old and decided that that must be the cause of the performance problem. Of course it wasn't (or else I wouldn't be using it, it actually turned out to be an Oracle bug that caused the session to terminate) but all the newly gathered statistics caused performance problems all over the place. Fortunately it was only a development database. I could have just copied the statistics from production, but I also have regular backups of the statistics (even though most don't change at all) and could easily restore the prior state.

At 12:09 AM 12/31/2003, you wrote:
>Wolfgang,
>
>First off, sorry for mangling your name in the previous post.

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
Centrex Consulting Corporation
http://www.centrexcc.com