Re: Oracle OID and Production Databases Sharing the same

From: Ron Thomas <rthomas_at_hypercom.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:24:30 -0800

I'll agree that you can run multiple instance out of 1 oracle home, however, I've found it to be simpler to use a dedicated oracle home per instance. Disk space is cheap (relatively speeking).

Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
rthomas_at_hypercom.com
Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs. -- Kernighan

                      RROGERS_at_galottery
                      .org                     To:       ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      ml-errors_at_fatcity        Subject:  Re: Oracle OID and Production Databases Sharing the same
                      .com

                      12/30/2003 12:59
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Tom,
 I see no problem that would prevent you from having multiple instances in the Oracle home. You would need multiple Oracle homes if you had different version of Oracle. With one Oracle home and multiple instances you have to be sure to include all instances in the shutdown and start up scripts or at least have a check list to insure all instances are down or up. Adding the java stuff should not effect the other instance if the init parameters are set correctly. It will make life easier to keep the Oracle software up to date with only one home. I like the KISS syndrome.
Ron

>>> thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us 12/30/2003 1:34:49 PM >>>
All,

We have a AIX 5.2 box serving a new 9.2 database. We also installed the OID
software on this box. Oid requires it's own database. So we have two instances on this machine.

We received notice from Oracle that a security patch (#62) was required. We
were applying the patch and it failed because some Java stuff needed to be
installed separatly first.

Now I'm wondering if we should have created two Oracle Homes - one for the
production database and one for the OID database. I'm worried that we will
always have problems keeping these two instances sharing the same Oracle
home.

Anybody got an opinion?

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

Author: Ron Thomas
  INET: rthomas_at_hypercom.com