Re: Oracle OID and Production Databases Sharing the same

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:04:25 -0800

Brian,
 From reading into your message I get the impression the you wanted to use the OID supplied database for your other database and support frowned upon it. Was there any problem with using the "normal" Oracle database for the OID database?
Ron

>>> brian.mcgraw_at_ipacc.com 12/30/2003 1:59:26 PM >>> I would opt to separate them.

I ran into some problems with a Collaboration Suite install, where I wanted to use the OID database, to store my files data as well. It failed in a spectacular fashion. An Oracle support analyst said that was a bad idea. When I asked him if I could just create another instance with the same $ORACLE_HOME, he frowned on it, because the database version used by OID isn't really *that* supported by Oracle.

I don't know what makes it so special, but I got the impression from him that it was a fragile database release, meant for use by Oracle only.

My $.02 -

Brian
Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org