RE: Should we stop analyzing?

From: Whittle Jerome Contr NCI <Jerome.Whittle_at_scott.af.mil>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:09:27 -0800

RE: Should we stop analyzing?

I'll see your 'analyzed every 4 hours' and raise you one. We have some tables that are analyzed every time they are used! They are 'work' tables that are sometimes empty, very full, or somewhere in between. Running something when the statistics say the table is full but actually is empty takes a little longer when CBO says use indexes; however, if CBO thinks the table is empty and does a FTS when there's actually a million records, well let's just say it takes a while. Hints work sometimes; however,  analyzing these table after they are populated and letting CBO do it's job usually works best.

Two points.

First this particular database had not been analyzed for over a year when I got there and this database gets larger daily. They added indexes but it didn't make much difference. After analyzing, most things were much faster; however, the 'work' tables started acting up depending on their state when analyzed. We now analyze twice a month.

Second when it comes to these 'work' tables, I wasn't there and it wasn't my idea!

Jerry Whittle
ASIFICS DBA
NCI Information Systems Inc.
jerome.whittle@scott.af.mil