RE: IBM Workload Manager (WLM)

From: <babette.turnerunderwood_at_hrdc-drhc.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:04:25 -0800

We are using Oracle on OS/390 and WLM.

If you are using AIX instead of MVS you will have a different flavour of WLM.

Basically each of our databases on the mainframe runs within a service (think of services on Windows NT). Each service is associated with a WLM class. Originally, we capped each class. This gave lousy performance. Then we decided to change priorities so all classes can compete equally with legacy applications and raised the cap on the machine itself. This has helped a lot.

It is the "Performance Group" that does all the configuration of WLM. On more than one occasion they misstated the configuration to us, when we asked how it was configured.

It only "kicks in" when there is a resource shortage. If you are using less resources than on the machine, WLM does nothing. It is when everything is requesting more resources than available in total, that resource allocation comes into effect.

Author: Carel-Jan Engel
  INET: cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl

Author: <babette.turnerunderwood_at_hrdc-drhc.gc.ca
  INET: babette.turnerunderwood_at_hrdc-drhc.gc.ca