RE: Correct way to accuse BCHR tuning method (Was: Hit ratio)

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 13:24:25 -0800

> > #2. How do you determine whether your buffer cache is sized
> properly?
>
> Your application meets it's defined operational response time
> and throughput constraints.

Actually that is an interesting answer, since it doesn't answer the question asked 'How do I know if my buffer cache is sized properly' but a much better question which is something like 'how do I know if my application is tuned sufficiently?', or to borrow Gaja's CTD idea 'How do I know when to stop tuning?'. I don't know if other nations have hi-fi buffs (though I guess so) who obsess about the quality of the interconnects, the balance of the turntable, the merits of the pre-amp etc etc. I imagine them as conducting 'tuning' enquiries along the lines of 'how do I know if my speaker cables are performing optimally?' when a much much better question would be 'Why am I listening to Lionel Richie anyway?'. Asking the right questions is a key skill for DBAs it seems to me.

Niall

Author: Niall Litchfield
  INET: niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com