Re: undo and insert

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:59:25 -0800

Just the previous version of the changed columns, plus an overhead of about 80 bytes which relates to ITLs, linked lists, operation descriptions etc.

Bear in mind that undo relating to indexes is not the same as undo relating to tables, though. An update to an indexed column results in one index entry being deleted (so the whole index entry is coped to the undo) and another index entry being inserted (which also means the whole (new) index entry being copied to the undo).

There is a statistic relating to undo size in v$sysstat/v$sesstat in the most recent versions of Oracle.

While a transaction is active, you can track it in v$transaction, and there are two columns in that view giving you information about the undo - used_urec (undo records created) and used_ublk (undo block used).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person   who can answer the questions, but the   person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html ____UK___November