RE: Display unix directory hierarchy

From: <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:09:32 -0800

In addition to the fine solution from Bambi, Here's another approach that I think will work. I did only minimal testing (in TRUE development tradition. But ... But ... It worked OK in test!). One caveat: This relies on recursion, so on a big directory tree you might get swatted with OS resource limitations.

#!/bin/ksh

if [ $# -eq 1 ]; then

   ARG=$1
else

   ARG=0
   export MYNAME="`pwd`/`basename $0`"
fi

X=0
PAD=""
while [ $X -lt $ARG ]; do

   PAD=$PAD" "
   X=$(( X + 1 ))
done

## list non-directory files first

for i in `ls -a1 2> /dev/null`; do

   if [ "$i" = "." -o "$i" = ".." ]; then

      continue
   fi
   if [ ! -d $i ]; then

      echo "$PAD$i"
   fi
done

## then plow into the directories
## NO. They ain't "folders". They're "DIRECTORIES".
for i in `ls -a1 2> /dev/null`; do

   if [ "$i" = "." -o "$i" = ".." ]; then

      continue
   fi