RE: Delete vs. truncate to free up spaces.

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:44:26 -0800

This is one of the cases where a partitioned table can be of great use. What version of Oracle? Standard or Enterprise Edition? With a partitioned table you can say
alter table ... drop partition ... ;
to easily get rid of a large chunk of data and release the space.

See
Oracle9i Database Concepts Release 2 (9.2) Part Number A96524-01
Chapter 11
Partitioned Tables and Indexes
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c12parti.htm#464767

or

http://tinyurl.com/362ba

Author: Jacques Kilchoer
  INET: Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 22 2003 - 16:44:26 CST