stress tests for a scale to 30,000 users

From: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:19:25 -0800

My estimate right now is about a 500GB instance(but could grow). There are several complexities.

  1. high transaction system, but also will have alot of long running queries
  2. We deliver data daily and rebuild large parts of the database nightly with loads. Im not certain I have the window to analyze every index or get histograms on all the tables. There are VERY large data loads and deliveries. Data has to be delivered by a certain time and we get data feeds from other groups. I cannot control when we recieve data to load.
  3. We will not be actively managing the production server. Its going to be delivered as an off the shelf product. I do not know what statistics ill be allowed to have for security reasons(this is not govenment stuff so dont worry about what I say). Its up to the client.
  4. We are using web server level connection pooling so tracing isnt very useful.

Im essentially the lone performance guy on the team. Ive never done a scale up this large, or with this many complexities. We just managed to convince them to use bind variables... but they haven't been implemented yet.

Im having trouble getting accurate test cases. This is what I am 'attempting' to do at first. Please let me know if my approach is accurate.

  1. Find out which queries will be run the most. Are there things people will do in the mornings, but not in the afternoon(so far its 'dunno').
  2. Hopefully, I can get a hold of either the use cases or 'preferebly' test cases, so we can design our stress tests around actual user processes. All they are doing now is opening up 50+ users and running queries in loops.

What other approach should I take to get started. Im rather troubled by this...

Author: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net
  INET: ryan_oracle_at_cox.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 22 2003 - 14:19:25 CST