RE: OEM permissions

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:49:25 -0800

Hi, Raj,

9i doesn't allow a user with select any table privilege to view any object owned by SYS. So the sys.link$ risk is gone. But select any dictionary, a new privilege in 9i, allows that. In practice, I always grant select_catalog_role to any developer, but refrain from granting select any dictionary or select any table. As DBAs, we should encourage developers to make full use of data dictionary views and open the database to them as much as they can study it. I would help the consultant in your case instead of just throw back a "NO" to him.

Yong Huang

Jamadagni, Rajendra wrote:

Dennis,

"select any table" has to be a big no no ... anyone can select from sys.link$. But I am still trying how OEM can be used for _development_?? what am I missing? As for ...
One of our groups hired a new consultant and he (claimed to have DBA background) immediately shot off an email saying he needed "select any table" and "select catalog role" to do his work. We shot off reply "Thanks for your email, while we appreciate your requirements for development, the privileges you are requesting are a tad different than we grant other developers. However we request that you submit a justification for these privileges and tell us how your development would be affected without these and we will accommodate your request". This was 3 months ago and we _still_ haven't heard back.

Do you Yahoo!?
New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing. http://photos.yahoo.com/

Author: Yong Huang
  INET: yong321_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 19 2003 - 11:49:25 CST