RE: OEM permissions

From: <jo_holvoet_at_amis.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:54:25 -0800

I believe a role 'OEM_MONITOR' is created in 9i when you create a DB; pre-9i you can create it yourself (via catsnmp.sql or something like that) and you can use that instead of granting specific other privileges. Oracle claims that it contains a minimum set of privileges for OEM use, but maybe you can trim it down further for your specific needs. There are several notes on MetaLink about this; e.g. 216731.1.

mvg/regards

Jo

DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_lifetouch.com> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
12/18/2003 16:34
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: OEM permissions

Raj - Thanks for your reply. Were this a consultant, my reply would mirror yours, and maybe not so diplomatically.

   But basically I manage these databases on behalf of this manager, so when
he asks for "read-only" access, I can't really refuse. And I think he is pretty competent as a DBA. He says that he prefers to use OEM instead of Toad.

   What I'm really asking is what could these grants be used for besides just reading data? If there are other actions that could be done, I could at
least ask him not to perform those actions, so if something bad happens I have provided an alert ahead of time.

   For those who use OEM in your environment, does the SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE and SELECT ANY DICTIONARY privileges sound pretty usual for OEM to be able to scout out the info it needs to paint the pretty displays?

   Yes, I am checking out how this exposes links and what is available on the other systems the links point to. I have also asked his group not to create any database links. Fortunately we have relatively few links.

   Again, thanks for your advice.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Jamadagni, Rajendra
  INET: Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  INET: jo_holvoet_at_amis.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 19 2003 - 03:54:25 CST