RE: Career Advice

From: Odland, Brad <Brad.Odland_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:54:25 -0800

There is no set formula now. But learning a fair amount of SQL, Oracle Database and Unix Administration can do you no wrong.

IN my experience the companies or people that hire you because of "big names" on your resume are NOT the ones you want to work for.

IT administration work has become more specialized of late. In particular DBA work has become more "low level" or hardware close at least from my perspective. As you become more familiar with the application running on the database you begin to drift more and more towards the business end user. The result if your technical understanding shifts from data reliability and security to how the data is used and perceived by the users.

Your choice as a young IT professional if to determine where your particular natural talents are best utilized.

Ask yourself these two questions and be honest with yourself:

  1. Are you a people person with compassion and empathy for people's problems and do you have the ability to visualize data in format that business users can comprehend?
  2. Are you a good technical troubleshooter with the ability track down solutions wherever they reside in the network, OS, database, middleware or client

If you answered yes to the first and you find yourself helping user understand the data better then continuing in the business analyst support role would be the direction for you.

If you find yourself as the support person for the analysts and work at the OS level with the system admins then the DBA route is problem better suited to you.

As you choose where you are headed remember to celebrate the SKILLS and TALENTS you have on your resume. Skills you have like people skills, communication and troubleshooting rather than highlight anyone package or technology. Talents are ease of learning or a programming language like PL/SQL, SQL, perl or korn shell. The tools are all similar how you were able to learn to use them is better. Many times in down economies a new employee is brought into IT because the different perspective is desired.

The successful IT professional has to have the ability to drift with the tide of technology and adapt to change rapidly and to help lead the way through unknown territory with confidence.

You can't trust the vendors and you can't trust the documentation all the time but you can trust your own abilities to sift through the chaff to find direction. Looking at the IT world as a whole is the best place to start. Seeing the strata from the network to OS through the database, middleware, workstation and finally enduser is the view that will help you succeed. Knowing where you are and how to overlap the boundaries is the best way navigate an IT career.

What we do is not rocket science but you can't do rocket science without us.

Good luck in your future.

Brad O.

Author: Saira Somani-Mendelin
  INET: saira_somani_at_yahoo.com

Author: Odland, Brad
  INET: Brad.Odland_at_qtiworld.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Dec 17 2003 - 13:54:25 CST